In my earlier years, I used to think that putting on a hat when fishing in the lake or sea was just a matter of style. Some people might even find this a bit silly as the headgear does not play any significant role for such an activity.
Well, guess what? It is just as necessary as a firefighter needs his helmet for safety and as a dress code. Whether worn for style or protection, you should go for the best fishing hat because it can be a lifesaver, especially when you’re outdoors in broad daylight for long hours.
No matter if you are an avid fishing enthusiast or a pro angler, your choice could have an impact on your overall experience. This is the reason we carefully reviewed a myriad of fishing caps, hats, and beanies and then shortlisted the finest choices.
Now you don’t need to spend hours looking for the right fishing hat because we have already found the cutting edge models! Just check out our top choices!
Top Fishing Hats : Comparison Chart
|Pick Name||Thumbnail||Product Name||Price|
|Overall Top||Columbia Unisex Bora Bora II Booney Hat||Check Price|
|Our Budget Choice||Rothco Boonie Hat||Check Price|
|Great for Sun Protection||Outdoor Research Sombriolet Sun Hat||Check Price|
|Top Cotton Hat||Tilley T5MO Organic Cotton Airflo Hat||Check Price|
|Best Coolie Hat||Jacobson Hat Company Men’s Adult Deluxe||Check Price|
|6th||UShake Mosquito Head Net Hat||Check Price|
|7th||Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero||Check Price|
|8th||Columbia Men’s PFG Mesh Ball Cap||Check Price|
|9th||Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat||Check Price|
|10th||DDYOUTDOOR trade; 07-281||Check Price|
How We Picked These Products
Here at KayakFisherly not only do we strive for authenticity but for excellence as well. Our venture for bringing out the top deals go through several stages of online searching, feature analysis, comparisons, field-tests and re-evaluation of assessments.
Initially we did 30-hour long extensive online research tracking down 35 fishing hats with the highest number of ratings and positive customer reviews. Then we took the listed products to our labs for a series of testing sessions. A group of community-based volunteers helped us carry out the tests. We closely monitored how the hats performed in real as well as simulated fishing environments and tested their UV-blocking ranges. Based on their build quality, material, design, ergonomics, portability, style, and durability, we championed 10 hats.
The quest didn’t end there though. Next , we reached out to other industry experts and famed fishing gear designers of the country to have their insights into our final list. They helped us rank the final models based on their special features. In the following section, we’ll reveal our findings in detail.
Our 10 Best Fishing Hats List with Review
So, what is the best fishing hat? Please go through the details of each product carefully, so you don’t miss out on any significant features. Make sure you know the purpose for which you’ll be needing a hat that should determine the kind of model you need.
01 Columbia Unisex Bora Bora II Booney Hat (Overall Top)
If you are looking for a superb fishing hat that can protect you from sunlight with a capacity of 50 UPF level of sun protection, Bora Bora II Booney by Columbia is the right choice product. This model features Columbia’s patented wicking fabric that has the sweat-wicking capacity to absorb the maximum amount of sweat without a trace of wetness.
During our testing, we made sure if the model actually lived up to what it promised by its 7 UPF 50 sunblock technology. Our lab tests ensured that it successfully blocked harmful UVB and UVA rays. We all know that these high-frequency rays can cause various fatal skin conditions including skin cancer.
It has a brim width of 3 inches with an adjustable chin strap that can be easily positioned on the head to remain fit. The hat also has an adjustable drawcord and toggle placed at the back that is evenly adjustable and aids comfort. Its material comprises of 100% textured nylon poplin (shell) as well as 100% polyester (lining). The Omni-Wick technology ensures ultimate moisture control.
This model comes with a fantastic breeze-inducing mesh vent to keep its user cool, especially during long hours when outdoors under the sun. This accounts for its high-performance feature regarding reliability in harsh hot conditions. Speaking of hot periods, the 3-inch protective brim actually favors its usage on days that may be really sunny.
More specifically, the gear is deemed the ultimate moisture management technology for outdoors which is designed to remove moisture from the skin into the fabric where it spreads across the hat’s surface and then evaporates. This invariably makes its user kept cool and dry.
- Dimensions: 15″ x 13″ x 3″
- Closure: Adjustable
- Textured poplin: 100% Nylon Poplin
- 3-inch brim
- Unisex design
- Effective UVA and UVB protection
- Adjustable drawcord and toggle
- Great moisture control
- Highly portable
- Don’t have many color variants
Columbia Sportswear is a name of trust for over 80 years in the United States, but we had to put it to test. After much analysis, we liked how The Bora Bora II performed in different weather conditions. Once you have this fully brimmed model on, you can simply forget about it and go about your business. However, it isn’t really stripped off the downsides, we didn’t find any mention of waterproofing by the manufacturer, but still, it held up well under rains. Also, we would be happy to see more color variants of this model. Apart from that, this is an excellent hat for fishing and you cannot really go wrong with buying this.
02 Rothco Boonie Hat (Our Budget Choice)
The Rothco Boonie hats are particularly designed in military styles with reference to government specifications. They are certainly among the cool fly fishing hats that you may not often see around physical stores. They are made of 100% cotton fabric that has high moisture absorption. On top of that, there’s an infusion of polyester to enhance flexibility on the head.
These are typically made to have 4 screened side vents that provide the users with sufficient room for coolness as that discards heat in a great amount. Attached is an adjustable chin strap that can be used to make adjustments that fit the head, ideally in order to maintain stability. There are loops woven into the sides that blend leaves and branches as proposed suitable for its specific appearance.
This kind of hat is known to favor both hot and cool conditions in general which is one factor that defines it as an outstanding selling product on e-stores. It has a lightweight of only 1 pound with a nifty collapsible property making it an ideal choice for anglers who are into catching trout, seabass, salmon or catfish. It adds to its portability, allowing it be rolled into the size of a burrito.
- Dimensions: 10 x 10 x 5 inches
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Government specification
- 100% cotton fabric
- Material: Cotton and Polyester
- Good price
- Adjustable chin strap
- Branch Loops
- Features 4 screen vent holes
- Relatively inexpensive
- The vents are fragile
- Return of product upon feasible failure is not permitted
The Rothco Boonie hat collection has a variety of interesting stylish appearances that just gives it an edge over many other fishing hats. Normally, one would expect these specific custom designs to be sold at a high price but it’s quite the contrary, thanks to the Chinese manufacturing biosphere. This also makes an excellent gift for a fisherman too.
Want quality at an affordable price? Now this one is an intriguing choice, I must say.
03 Outdoor Research Sombriolet Sun Hat (Great for Sun Protection)
This is an ideal bucket fishing hat to go carp fishing, especially when the outside is super sunny. It is specially designed to provide long-lasting protection from the sun’s damaging rays. With UPF 50 sunblocking capacity this hat is a bulletproof option against the sun. Its fabric is weaved from 13% spandex and 87% polyester, the combination is breathable and lightweight.
Its strategically-placed wicked vents in the crowns make its user cool and dry as the moisture-wicking mesh lining creates a similar effect as well.
The hat provides resistance against a strong wind by its piping along the brim edge, which sticks it to the head firmly. In addition, there is a foam -stiffened brim that allows the hat to remain visible on the surface of the water if it is dropped by an accident.
Outdoor Research Sombriolet hats have a TransAction headband that maintains a firm head-grip as moisture gets wicked out and an external drawcord adjustment to maximize stability on the user’s head. Removable chin string with cord lock equally facilitates the firm feature of the bucket hat.
The hat weighs only 0.48 ounces and is predominantly used by women and girls due to its feminine design language. Its material composition allows it to be subjected to washing as often as needed. No matter how often you wash it won’t be fading easily.
- Dimensions: 7 x 18 x 17 inches
- Weight: 0.48 ounces
- Nylon/polyester blended fabric
- Foam-stiffened brim floats
- Vents and mesh lining in the crown to control moisture and cooling
- SolarShield construction for sun protection
- Foam-stiffened brim and piping on the edge of the brim
- An amazingly lightweight model for sale
- TransAction headband
- Adjustable chin cord and drawcord
- Regular washing may take a toll on the shape
For all the outdoor fishing enthusiasts in the summer, this is the best fishing hat as it is designed to tackle an intensely hot atmosphere under the burning sun. It holds your head in a way that feels safe and secure despite being lightweight. I like the fact that it has a good fade-resistant quality even though it’s likely to misshapen over time. That can probably be fixed by subjecting the hat to mild washing. It’s surely our favorite model for fishing in the dazzling sun.
04 Tilley T5MO Organic Cotton Airflo Hat
Tilley hats were initially claimed to be greatly-made and the most practical hats in the category of headgears when first introduced. The manufacturer uses wrinkle-resistant materials and adequate adjustability in the design in order to ensure high performance in moisture management. Quality mesh fabric in the crown of the hat ensures sufficient ventilation, and comfort.
There is a non-absorbent foam liner in the crown as well that facilitates buoyancy and head protection. In addition to its water repellent capacity, the brim channels moisture away to the atmosphere. This model’s clever design enhances its ability to fit low and loose.
This kind of cotton fishing hats are relatively soft and comfy as their material compositions are made to wick away perspiration from the user’s forehead. Some models have a dark under-brim that tends to minimize glare from the water, sand and pavement. The adjustable wind cord also keeps the hat stable on the head when strong breezes pass by. It does not shrink or misshapen easily like other bucket models and can dry within a few hours after washing.
Its hemp provides breathability and comfort during hot days as it poses a naturally resistant property to UV light or mildew.
- Dimensions: 10 x 11 x 8 inches
- Weight: 12.8 pounds
- Material: 98% organic cotton; 2% Spandex
- Wind cord: Adjustable
- Lightweight and naturally breathable
- Great water-repellent features
- Air flow for extra ventilation
- Excellent sun protection
- Floats: foam liner present in the crown
- Report concerning insufficient sizing
- Cannot sustain form over long periods upon frequent washing
When it comes to the rainy season, the Tilley Airflo is preferable to other big fishing hats. Its superb water repellent features are just fascinating and the downsides to this gear are quite easily resolvable to make it a perfect selection for your need. You wouldn’t have to worry about inhaling the fresh air that flows throughout the surface of the sea as the hat maximizes its breathing performance for its user.
05 Jacobson Hat Company Men’s Adult Deluxe
When it comes to selecting from a wide range of cool fishing hats, the Jacobson Men’s Adult Deluxe model stands out for a good many reasons. Although it may appear to be designed for men alone, ladies can also use it.
What makes this bucket hat so cool is the material it made from–straw. The headgear is made of 100% straw which depicts its classic structure and offers a unique vintage style very much visible in Asian farmers. The spirit of the Oriental is pretty much alive in it. It is typically brimmed and designed to protect the head from the sun or heatstroke.
Finer and more costly varients of this model present more than just a fashionable headpiece. They possess tighter and more consistent weave with enhanced its flexibility and firmness. Larger variants take more weaving time than the smaller sizes.
The crown measures up to 5 inches depth and has an adjustable chin string of 22 inches that can be used to improve balance of its user’s head. It weighs 4.8 ounces with a 16 – 3/4 inches wide diameter. The inner support straws that also aid its firm structure can be replaced easily or restrawed if necessary.
- Dimensions: 14 x 14 x 14 inches
- Weight: 4.8 ounces
- 100% straw
- Adjustable chin string
- One size fits most, fitting up to XL
- Crown measures 5 inches deep
- Very classy headgear
- Not suitable for bald heads
- Its component straws are quite fragile
The Jacobson Deluxe is without a doubt one of the coolest men’s fishing hats on the market today. It presents to the table an exotic material composition of straw which gives it an antique, traditional look that ressurects Asian spiritit as well.
One doesn’t need to worry about the size of the bucket being too small or tight as the hat is constructed over a wide range of head sizes up to the extra large.
06 UShake Mosquito Head Net Hat
Ushake, as a brand, is known for manufacturing equipment for many outdoor exercises such as cycling, swimming, running, fishing and so on. The company is US based and is known for quality products. They designed this cute model for travellers and fishermen who often have to deal with jungles and insect infested areas. The name of the model explains the mesh net drooping from the top. The mesh provides safety from mosquitos, bees and other flying insects.
It is made of 100% nylon and non-impregnated mesh material combination enhanced by UPF50+ Sun Protection that helps to prevent the user’s skin from physically contacting UV light rays, sunburns and other unwanted effects.
The hat is relatively versatile as it can be used as an anti-mosquito headgear or a sun shield for fishing and other outdoor activities under a torrid atmosphere. In essence, the hat features a hidden mesh net compartment at the top that entirely conceals a mosquito bug guard. It can be simply pulled up to dismiss and adjusted to the preferred head size without worrying about persistent attacks from mosquitoes or other tiny insects that may be present. This feature exists because the net is treated to act as a natural mosquito repellent and also provide good air circulation to make the head remain comfortable.
Ushake Hat Product Corporation also allows its buyer to be fully entitled to a 12-month money-back guarantee upon feasible damages.
- Dimensions: 13.2 x 12.9 x 1.4 inches
- Weight: 3.84 ounces
- Head circumference: (22.8-23.2) inches
- Crown depth: 4 inches
- Veil: 13.4 inches
- Brim: 2.95 inches
- Material: Nylon 100%+ polyester+100%
- UPF50+ Sun Protection
- 100% money back guarantee
- Dual-hat functionality: Anti-mosquito netting and sun shield
- Dries quickly after washing
- Relatively fragile nets
Mosquitoes are the commonest insects that tend to affect people while fishing. With this head gear on you can now go fishing even when these insects are rampant in weather conditions that may favour their predominance around large water bodies. We really admire the idea behind this design as it demonstrates the brand’s commitment for healthy product design and innovations.
07 Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero
Seattle Sombrero is a nifty waterproof fishing hat made of 100% nylon and polyester lining by Outdoor Research Corporation. The company is based in Seattle and has been a facilitator of inspiration and confidence through their product of apparels and accessories.
Bringing to the table, its remarkable and well-approved gear design, the rain hat was claimed to be the Backpacker Magazine’s winner for 2005. It comprises of a three-layer fabric that provides sufficient waterproof protection against moisture contents as it allows adequate breathing capacity.
The linings in the hat are brushed that tend to wick away perspiration from the forehead and thereby subsequently controls the moisture content ensuring comfort to its user. It also incorporates an internal cinch-band adjustment with a brim secured by foam-stiffened floats to help it float on the surface of large water bodies.
The hook and loop tabs have matching colors on the brim. The detachable and lockable chin cord is there to ensure firmness to its user’s head. The Seattle Sombrero is designed in lightweight preferably to suit monsoon-like conditions as it tends to offer faster drying tha343n many other bucket hats out there.
This model also provides UPF 50+ level sun block protection and keeps the hair dry when its user may begin to perspire during various outdoor exercises. Its construction is relatively portable too as it can be folded to fit into a golf bag. Being waterproof, it’s an ideal choice for kayaking too.
- Dimensions: 16 x 9 x 5 inches
- Weight: 4.5 ounces
- 100% nylon/100% polyester lining
- Brim: 2-3/4 inches
- Replaceable chin cord
- Waterproof, breathable rain hat
- Brushed tricot crown
- Faster drying upon washing
- Foam-stiffened brim floats
- Hook/loop tabs on brim and dome
- No accessory to provide warmth around the ears
- Misshapen upon frequent folding
Rainy seasons are prevalent on an annual basis but that’s a good time to catch fishes around streams or valleys where water flow will rush along the river’s course. You may be a professional saltwater fisherman. Fishing without a solid waterproof hat can be very inconvenient at times like this, so being equipped with the Seattle Sombrero headgear would serve as ideal head protection. It makes a superb kayaking hat too! You might just want to get a pair of ear muffins along with this to enhance protection from the cold wind.
08 Columbia Men’s PFG Mesh Ball Cap
The PFG Mesh Ball Cap is one of the fly fishing hats for men that can be used for fishing or as a casual headgear that one might wear outdoor. The Columbia Performance Fishing Gear brand has manufactured some of the best men’s sun protection hats that are greatly admired by serious anglers. One of the materials responsible for this characteristic is the CA Flexfit, which also offers comfort during various exercises.
This Columbia’s PFG Mesh Pique Ball Cap is suitable for fishing over a long period on a sunny day because it attributes signature Omni-Shade protection that tends to prevent UVA/UVB light rays from causing sunburn or other mild/severe skin damages to its user.
Another interesting feature offered from the mesh ball cap is the ventilated back for long-standing comfort for activities like fishing and so on. This ball cap is made from 56% polyester, 43% cotton, and 2% cotton Flexfit, which comprises of woven spandex ergonomically constructed to provide an excellent secure fit to the user’s head.
The producers have designed the ball cap with a range of sizes from small/medium to large/extra-large and they also produce them in multiple varieties of colours and fishing prints. Some of the nicest colours include harbour blue, emerald city, beet, vivid blue, night tide, gulf stream and white. In essence, the Columbia Men’s Mesh Ball cap is a stylish headpiece designed to give comfort to the head for a lengthy amount of time outdoors.
- Dimensions: 7 x 7 x 1 inches
- Weight: 3.52 ounces
- Material: 98% cotton/2% polyurethane shell; 95% polyester/5% polyurethane
- Signature Omni-Shade protection
- Ventilated back
- Portable and relatively head-fit
- Very durable
- May fade easily
This is an appropriate headgear that we recommend you to wear when you intend to spend a long period of time fishing under moderate temperature on a boat or an inflatable kayak. If properly worn, one doesn’t need to worry much about dropping it into the water as it grips around the forehead nicely. The ball cap gives an eye-catching quality as it shows its ability to be an embodiment of style and comfort.
09 Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat
When it comes to a well-built and durable bucket hat, the Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat fits the category perfectly. It is predominant among outdoor explorers and adventurers because of its interesting features that tend to favour their needs for such events. Just about every inch of this headpiece is constructed for functional sun protection. It offers UPF 50+ sunblocking capacity ensuring a reliable shield against UV light rays.
The hat offers a compartment for making adjustments to the size of the head in order to stay fit over a wide range of head sizes. This adjustable feature can be performed by selecting the preferred size and fine-tuning it with the aid of its external adjuster. It’s lightweight and has a strategically placed crown ventilation for offering adequate circulation of air around the user’s head.
There are hook and loop tabs that allow its users to lift neck cape for improved breathability. One can keep his/her entire face and neck completely shaded from sunlight with its 4-inch wide brim and neck cape that is 7-1/2 inches.
The material composition includes 50% nylon and 50% polyester accompanied by a floating foam core accessory.
The bucket hat is designed with a water repellent and stain resistant property to keep it in good form and appearance on its user’s head. Consequently, it possesses a moisture-wicking capability that aids it to remain cool and dry.
- Dimensions: 11.8 x 7.7 x 1.9 inches
- Weight: 2.88 ounces
- 50% nylon, 50% polyester
- Brim: 4 inches
- Moisture wicking
- Floatable foam core
- Strategic mesh ventilation
- Water repellent/ stain resistant
- UPF 50+ resistant
- Back veil neck flap, 7-1/2 inches
- Its brim may become floppy upon folding
This bucket hat by Sunday Afternoons is preferred by many individuals due to its ability to withstand challenging adventures under unfriendly weather conditions. It tends to show good competence in providing comfort as much as protecting from UV rays. If you love fishing on kayaks, we don’t think you can go wrong buying this.
10 DDYOUTDOOR trade; 07-281
Known for its remarkable performance in the production of equipment and accessories for outdoor sports and activities, DDYOUTDOOR steps up the game for the avid fishermen and hunters by their uniquely designed headpieces. Their products are claimed to undergo sleek construction and durability test to come up with brilliant results. We were convinced by this particular summer neck and face flap cap.
The DDYOUTDOOR summer cap is designed with removable flaps which initially aid protection from UVA/UVB light rays. It is a classic outdoor sun hat that is made from high-quality materials and reliable craftsmanship to pass the test of time. When subjected to washing, the hat tends to dry quickly and maintains a soft and cozy feeling on the head.
The long neck flaps equally enhance protection from sunburns or other unwanted damages in the neck region. The hidden neck flap added can be turned into a bucket hat for daily outdoors uses. It is equipped with UPF 50+ feature that improves protection from up to 98% of the harmful UV rays from the sun.
The headgear is portable and lightweight, you can repeatedly fold it for easy carrying. It has a waterproof feature enabled by nylon material and an elastic drawstring at the back that can be adjusted aptly. This headpiece extends its versatility beyond fishing at the sea and is also ideal for camping, hiking or even gardening.
- Dimensions: 14.7 x 14 x 0.4 inches
- Weight: 5.3 ounces
- Sun protection: UPF 50+
- Accessories: Removable flaps
- UPF50+ SunShield
- Well portable and easily collapsible
- Mesh side panels
- Removable flaps
- Poorly fastened hat clips
If you have a thing for unique designs that emphasizes protection, here is the deal for you. With this headpiece on, you’ll look classy, but still remain in your comfort zone. We suggest you not to search further because the DDYOUTDOOR fishing hat has everything there is to have as an exotic and efficient headgear. In addition, you can use it on many other occasions with maximum protection from the sun and other disturbances.
Other Notable brands
During our research, we came across hundreds of good brands and their popular lineups. Here are some notable names you must explore if you’re up for further market research:
Kings Of NY (popular model- Deep Sea), 13 Fishing, Rapala, Simms (popular for their long bill fishing hat models), Patagonia (popular for their stretch fit models like the Fitz Roy Trout), RL Winston, PELAGIC, Stetson, Crappie, Redington, North Face, Ugly Stik, Fishpond (known for Eddy River), Filson, Penn (known for Reel models), Sage, Costa, Herring Custom, Strike King, Kryptek, Vans, Einskey, Supreme, Lowrance, SA, Mossy Oak, Daiwa, Nike, CTM (known for their long bill models), Carhartt, Fish Hippie, WEIRD FISH, RICHARDSON, Striker Ice, Zoom Bait Company, Inc., LSU, St. Croix Rods, L.L. Bean, Field and Stream, The Rep Your Water (popular model- Brook Trout Skin), and Polo Ralph Lauren.
Other hot sellers:
Berkley, G. Loomis, Inc., Under Armour (UA), Spiderwire, Realtree, Panama Jack, UK brand Adonis & Grace (popular for their Tweed winter hat lineup), Huk Performance Fishing, Fathom Offshore, Under Armour, Inc., Outdoor Cap (popular model- Bonefish), Squaregarden (known for their wool hat models), Hemlock Hat Co. (known for straw fishing models), Orvis, Raiders, Hardy, Okuma, Shimano, adidas, Fox, Barbour, Northern Pike, Master Baiter, Hook & Tackle (popular for their veteran models), Fishing Planet, Siggi, LINDO (popular for their fly fishing Trucker model), Aftco, New Era (popular model- Boston Red Sox MLB), Gucci, Zman, Walleye, Blue Marlin, Hobie (known for Striper), Outdoor Cap (known for their visor models)Fenwick, Simms (known for Musky), Aegean (popular for their Greek models), Silver Bait, Kylin Express (popular for their Cowboy fishing hat designs), and Trout Unlimited.
Why You Need a Fishing Hat
Fishing Hats, also classified under Bucket Hats, are headgears worn by individuals when going fishing (not the ones with a fish logo on top of it). The hat is typically made from heavy-duty cotton fabric like denim or canvas in form of a wide, downward- sloping brim. A fishing hat can be worn for various reasons as a protective measure against hostile weather conditions. Let’s look at some instances that may give you a better insight into the importance of buying this gear.
- Protection from cold. The best fishing hats of the market are designed to keep the head warm and comfortable in chilly weather. In essence, they make sure that the body does not lose much heat.
- UV protection. A direct contact with the sun’s ultraviolet light rays can be fatal for our naked skin and the head. These UV rays cause skin cancer and sunburns. One of the most effective ways to avoid sunburn or related skin diseases from the sun while fishing is by equipping a hat.
- Hair protection. The hair could get damaged under harsh conditions if not protected. Dire weather conditions can also affect your health if the right protection is avoided. The head cap is one important gear to reduce such damages.
Considering the health benefits of hats, it is now clear that they are more than just fashionable headwears. If you’re wondering on how to get awesome fishing hats to suit your preference then never worry as we’ve got you completely covered. Our article includes how one can choose the best hats for fishing for individual needs.
Best Fishing Hats: A Comprehensive Buying Guide
That being said, we will now lay proper emphasis on the things to consider when purchasing a bucket hat from the store. There are several factors to keep in mind and they’ve all been briefly explained in this section. In essence, this will help you become well-learned in the various things that must be considered before buying a hat.
- Type: There are quite a number of different types of fishing hats in stores including wide-brimmed caped hats, boonie hats or even baseball caps. There are also funny models with lures on them designed for kids and youths alike. Boys with a knack for fishing like them a lot. Also, you’ll find brimless beanie models with LED light for night fishing. Just make sure to go for the type that fits the head and the weather condition simultaneously.
- Ventilation: Since most of our body heat is emitted through the head, a fishing hat that does not possess sufficient ventilation can result in overheating or risk heat stroke.
- Hat size: Fishing hats come in a wide variety of sizes so you might want to ensure that you get one that isn’t too tight to cause discomfort or too loose to get blown off by the wind. If you are a big guy, try XXL size instead of squeezing your head in a smaller size. We suggest a free size for old men.
- Material: Most modern fishing hats are made of a combination of cotton and polyester which ensure flexibility and overall comfort. One that is prevalently cotton favours moisture absorption while the polyester provides greater flexibility and general comfort to the head. There are leather models out there with higher price tags.
- Cool factor: The style of hat that you intend to purchase should be chosen based on many factors such as your face’s shape and your preferred style. People prefer camo designs for hunting purposes.
- Adjustability: While fishing, make sure you fasten the strap properly so you dont drop your hat into the water. This is only possible when your model is featured with an adjustable strap to increase the balance on the head.
- Retention method: This factor merely emphasizes the fishing-hook-retention method. It is a method for forming a system used to secure items like fishing hooks. It’s an interesting way to support retaining and storing fishing equipment.
- Color: Color plays a great role here. White and light colors are great for bright sunny days. Camo designs are good for bowfishing and hunting. Bright colors like yellow, pink, rainbow, red, light blue, camouflage army green, radium green, orange, or tie-dye designs should be worn when fishing in low light for better visibility. For ice-fishing, choose something dark or black. Also, you can match it with the color of your wader if you want.
- Fade Resistance: Considering the long period you could be out there fishing whether, in the sun or rain, you wouldn’t want to use your hard-earned money to purchase a hat that will fade over a short time.
- Waterproof Outer Shell: The rain could fall mildly or in cats and dogs, however, you are always prepared for the worst-case scenario having equipped a waterproof bucket hat. The waterproof feature simply protects your head from being soaked and getting sick.
- Adjustable Chin Strap: Strong sea breezes pose a great impact in losing a nice fishing hat. Perhaps, you stay in a windy environment with lots of trees and other factors that promote strong winds. Be sure to get a hat with a simple, adjustable chin strap to keep it firm on your head without worrying about the hat displacing every now and then.
- Sun protection: When the heat radiating from the sun keeps baking you while you are fishing, you become prone to damages caused by UV rays and heatstroke. There are nifty hats that are designed to prevent the sun rays from affecting your head during the activity.
- Wide brim: The wide brim typically enhances protection from the sun rays by covering the user’s facial area in a bid to provide better comfort. Try not to go for one that is too wide for your head’s shape else you might have difficulty detecting fish properly.
- A multitude of Design: Fishing hats come with plenty of designs and styles. You can get units with a stitched or embroidered tuna, coal fish, cod, yeti redfish, flies, blobfish, tarpon, snook, manta ray, fishbone, Rebel Lure, San Francisco 49ers’s logo or striped bass on it (like the ones seen in Sandlot film). Some may read Gone Fishing, Newfie Mom, Shut Up and Fish, Magellan, Salt Life and other humorous sayings. People also like low profile Quint hats, felt hats, koi fish berets and fishing fedoras for casual trips, and for fly fishing Grateful Dead Bright Green hats are also getting popular.
Wrapping It Up
There are plenty of hat models there designed exclusively for fishing and other hunting activities out in the wild, however, we were able to successfully narrow down 10 varieties based on certain standard factors we considered ideal for such category of headgear. The reason for classifying the reviews this way is to provide a non-holistic format that explains how well a particular product’s features can suit a fishing experience.
Selecting the best fishing hats, either for taste or specific functionality, can be tricky as not all outdoor activities are alike. Consider the Sombriolet Sun Hat and the Sunday Afternoon Adventure Hat for instance. They both have outstanding sun protection features expected from the top-of-the-line products in this category. But they equally offer other distinct properties. This is why our reviews encompassed topics and features beyond appearance and specifications for you to get in-depth knowledge about choosing an appropriate hat.