In my earlier years, I used to think that putting on a hat when fishing in the lake or sea was just a matter of style. Some people might even find this a bit silly as the headgear does not play any significant role for such an activity.
Well, guess what? It is just as necessary as a firefighter needs his helmet for safety and as a dress code. Whether worn for style or protection, you should go for the best fishing hat because it can be a lifesaver, especially when you're outdoors in broad daylight for long hours.
No matter if you are an avid fishing enthusiast or a pro angler, your choice could have an impact on your overall experience. This is the reason we carefully reviewed a myriad of fishing caps, hats, and beanies and then shortlisted the finest choices.
Now you don't need to spend hours looking for the right fishing hat because we have already found the cutting edge models! Just check out our top choices!
How We Picked These Products
Here at KayakFisherly not only do we strive for authenticity but for excellence as well. Our venture for bringing out the top deals go through several stages of online searching, feature analysis, comparisons, field-tests and re-evaluation of assessments.
Initially we did 30-hour long extensive online research tracking down 35 fishing hats with the highest number of ratings and positive customer reviews. Then we took the listed products to our labs for a series of testing sessions. A group of community-based volunteers helped us carry out the tests. We closely monitored how the hats performed in real as well as simulated fishing environments and tested their UV-blocking ranges. Based on their build quality, material, design, ergonomics, portability, style, and durability, we championed 10 hats.
The quest didn't end there though. Next , we reached out to other industry experts and famed fishing gear designers of the country to have their insights into our final list. They helped us rank the final models based on their special features. In the following section, we'll reveal our findings in detail.
Our Top 10 Best Fishing Hat List
So, what is the best fishing hat? Please go through the details of each product carefully, so you don't miss out on any significant features. Make sure you know the purpose for which you'll be needing a hat that should determine the kind of model you need.
Other Notable brands and Models
During our research, we came across hundreds of good brands and their popular lineups. Here are some notable names you must explore if you're up for further market research:
Kings Of NY (popular model- Deep Sea), 13 Fishing, Rapala, Simms (popular for their long bill fishing hat models), Patagonia (popular for their stretch fit models like the Fitz Roy Trout), RL Winston, PELAGIC, Stetson, Crappie, Redington, North Face, Ugly Stik, Fishpond (known for Eddy River), Filson, Penn (known for Reel models), Sage, Costa, Herring Custom, Strike King, Kryptek, Vans, Einskey, Supreme, Lowrance, SA, Mossy Oak, Daiwa, Nike, CTM (known for their long bill models), Carhartt, Fish Hippie, WEIRD FISH, RICHARDSON, Striker Ice, Zoom Bait Company, Inc., LSU, St. Croix Rods, L.L. Bean, Field and Stream, The Rep Your Water (popular model- Brook Trout Skin), and Polo Ralph Lauren.
Other hot sellers:
Berkley, G. Loomis, Inc., Under Armour (UA), Spiderwire, Realtree, Panama Jack, UK brand Adonis & Grace (popular for their Tweed winter hat lineup), Huk Performance Fishing, Fathom Offshore, Under Armour, Inc., Outdoor Cap (popular model- Bonefish), Squaregarden (known for their wool hat models), Hemlock Hat Co. (known for straw fishing models), Orvis, Raiders, Hardy, Okuma, Shimano, adidas, Fox, Barbour, Northern Pike, Master Baiter, Hook & Tackle (popular for their veteran models), Fishing Planet, Siggi, LINDO (popular for their fly fishing Trucker model), Aftco, New Era (popular model- Boston Red Sox MLB), Gucci, Zman, Walleye, Blue Marlin, Hobie (known for Striper), Outdoor Cap (known for their visor models)Fenwick, Simms (known for Musky), Aegean (popular for their Greek models), Silver Bait, Kylin Express (popular for their Cowboy fishing hat designs), and Trout Unlimited.
Other models we also tested:
Why You Need a Fishing Hat
Fishing Hats, also classified under Bucket Hats, are headgears worn by individuals when going fishing (not the ones with a fish logo on top of it). The hat is typically made from heavy-duty cotton fabric like denim or canvas in form of a wide, downward- sloping brim. A fishing hat can be worn for various reasons as a protective measure against hostile weather conditions. Let’s look at some instances that may give you a better insight into the importance of buying this gear.
- Protection from cold. The best fishing hats of the market are designed to keep the head warm and comfortable in chilly weather. In essence, they make sure that the body does not lose much heat.
- UV protection. A direct contact with the sun's ultraviolet light rays can be fatal for our naked skin and the head. These UV rays cause skin cancer and sunburns. One of the most effective ways to avoid sunburn or related skin diseases from the sun while fishing is by equipping a hat.
- Hair protection. The hair could get damaged under harsh conditions if not protected. Dire weather conditions can also affect your health if the right protection is avoided. The head cap is one important gear to reduce such damages.
Considering the health benefits of hats, it is now clear that they are more than just fashionable headwears. If you’re wondering on how to get awesome fishing hats to suit your preference then never worry as we've got you completely covered. Our article includes how one can choose the best hats for fishing for individual needs.
Best Fishing Hats: A Comprehensive Buying Guide
That being said, we will now lay proper emphasis on the things to consider when purchasing a bucket hat from the store. There are several factors to keep in mind and they’ve all been briefly explained in this section. In essence, this will help you become well-learned in the various things that must be considered before buying a hat.
- Type: There are quite a number of different types of fishing hats in stores including wide-brimmed caped hats, boonie hats or even baseball caps. There are also funny models with lures on them designed for kids and youths alike. Boys with a knack for fishing like them a lot. Also, you'll find brimless beanie models with LED light for night fishing. Just make sure to go for the type that fits the head and the weather condition simultaneously.
- Ventilation: Since most of our body heat is emitted through the head, a fishing hat that does not possess sufficient ventilation can result in overheating or risk heat stroke.
- Hat size: Fishing hats come in a wide variety of sizes so you might want to ensure that you get one that isn’t too tight to cause discomfort or too loose to get blown off by the wind. If you are a big guy, try XXL size instead of squeezing your head in a smaller size. We suggest a free size for old men.
- Material: Most modern fishing hats are made of a combination of cotton and polyester which ensure flexibility and overall comfort. One that is prevalently cotton favours moisture absorption while the polyester provides greater flexibility and general comfort to the head. There are leather models out there with higher price tags.
- Cool factor: The style of hat that you intend to purchase should be chosen based on many factors such as your face’s shape and your preferred style. People prefer camo designs for hunting purposes.
- Adjustability: While fishing, make sure you fasten the strap properly so you dont drop your hat into the water. This is only possible when your model is featured with an adjustable strap to increase the balance on the head.
- Retention method: This factor merely emphasizes the fishing-hook-retention method. It is a method for forming a system used to secure items like fishing hooks. It's an interesting way to support retaining and storing fishing equipment.
- Color: Color plays a great role here. White and light colors are great for bright sunny days. Camo designs are good for bowfishing and hunting. Bright colors like yellow, pink, rainbow, red, light blue, camouflage army green, radium green, orange, or tie-dye designs should be worn when fishing in low light for better visibility. For ice-fishing, choose something dark or black. Also, you can match it with the color of your wader if you want.
- Fade Resistance: Considering the long period you could be out there fishing whether, in the sun or rain, you wouldn't want to use your hard-earned money to purchase a hat that will fade over a short time.
- Waterproof Outer Shell: The rain could fall mildly or in cats and dogs, however, you are always prepared for the worst-case scenario having equipped a waterproof bucket hat. The waterproof feature simply protects your head from being soaked and getting sick.
- Adjustable Chin Strap: Strong sea breezes pose a great impact in losing a nice fishing hat. Perhaps, you stay in a windy environment with lots of trees and other factors that promote strong winds. Be sure to get a hat with a simple, adjustable chin strap to keep it firm on your head without worrying about the hat displacing every now and then.
- Sun protection: When the heat radiating from the sun keeps baking you while you are fishing, you become prone to damages caused by UV rays and heatstroke. There are nifty hats that are designed to prevent the sun rays from affecting your head during the activity.
- Wide brim: The wide brim typically enhances protection from the sun rays by covering the user’s facial area in a bid to provide better comfort. Try not to go for one that is too wide for your head’s shape else you might have difficulty detecting fish properly.
- A multitude of Design: Fishing hats come with plenty of designs and styles. You can get units with a stitched or embroidered tuna, coal fish, cod, yeti redfish, flies, blobfish, tarpon, snook, manta ray, fishbone, Rebel Lure, San Francisco 49ers’s logo or striped bass on it (like the ones seen in Sandlot film). Some may read Gone Fishing, Newfie Mom, Shut Up and Fish, Magellan, Salt Life and other humorous sayings. People also like low profile Quint hats, felt hats, koi fish berets and fishing fedoras for casual trips, and for fly fishing Grateful Dead Bright Green hats are also getting popular.
Wrapping It Up
There are plenty of hat models there designed exclusively for fishing and other hunting activities out in the wild, however, we were able to successfully narrow down 10 varieties based on certain standard factors we considered ideal for such category of headgear. The reason for classifying the reviews this way is to provide a non-holistic format that explains how well a particular product’s features can suit a fishing experience.
Selecting the best fishing hats, either for taste or specific functionality, can be tricky as not all outdoor activities are alike. Consider the Sombriolet Sun Hat and the Sunday Afternoon Adventure Hat for instance. They both have outstanding sun protection features expected from the top-of-the-line products in this category. But they equally offer other distinct properties. This is why our reviews encompassed topics and features beyond appearance and specifications for you to get in-depth knowledge about choosing an appropriate hat.