How To Install A Kayak Fishing Rod Holder?
Everyone possibly knows kayaking makes fishing an easier and thrilling task. But, what makes kayaking more convenient is a fishing rod holder. This lets the pole stay secured and closer to you and you can concentrate on paddling as well. They can be installed anywhere no matter what type of kayak you have and what the materials are.
When you install a kayak fishing rod holder, you need to drill the places to assemble. If you are worried about drilling that ultimately will lead to leaking, you can also use marine sealant to seal to holes.
It takes about 60 minutes to install a kayak fishing rod holder. So, let us move towards the step to install a kayak fishing rod holder now.
Step 1: Gather things required
The first step is to grab the stuffs you will require the whole time. So, the things you will need are:
- Rod holding kit
- Marine sealant
- Neoprene washers
- Adjustable wrench
- Hole saw or jigsaw
Step 2: Choosing style
As soon as the above things are gathered, you can choose the style of rod holders that you want to install. You have to select one from the two styles: on the deck and through the deck.
While on the deck style is appropriate for installing directly to the deck of the boat and protrude from the kayak, the through the deck is created making a large hole and sitting flush with the deck. Besides, the on the deck style can be formed into multiple positions and through the deck can be kept aside when not used.
Step 3: Selecting rod holders’ position
Our next task is to select the position of the rod holders. We would suggest you to install the on the front deck to keep the holders close to you to reach to it easily. You can also mount them on the rear deck but it will stay out of your reach. In case of through deck holder, go for flat part of the deck. For front deck area you should be aware of selecting a place that does not interrupts your kayaking or cause discomfort with your body position.
Step 4: Making holes to fix rod holders
You should drill holes through the decks in accordance to the rod holder’s holes. Cut a hole appropriate for the rod holder to slide in by drilling a starting hole and rectify to make any adjustment using saw. This is for through the deck rod holder.
Step 5: Sealing holes
The holes should be sealed with marine sealant to prevent leakage. Cover the back of the neoprene washers with marine sealant. Again, for through a deck rod holder, put a bead of sealant all around the hole that you have cut in the deck.
Step 6: Bolting rod holders
With the help of hardware that are in the kit, bolt the rod holders to the deck. Get to the inside of the kayak and use neoprene washers for the back of stainless steel bolts and sealant side up. Make sure to put more sealant on both inside and outside the kayak before you fix the nuts completely. Tighten the nits afterwards.
So, these are the ways you can implement in order to install a kayak fishing rod holder. This will support your kayaking more than you would have expected. Have a happy ride and stay safe!
Products You May Consider
SaleBestseller No. 1 KastKing Fishing Rod Rack – Perfect Fishing Rod Holder - Holds Up to 24 Rods - 24 Rod Rack for All Types of Fishing Rods and Combos/ 12 Rod Rack for Freshwater Rods - ICAST Award Winner
- UNIQUE- A KastKing fold flat rod rack is the perfect addition to your fishing gear for fishing rod storage. For fishing rod handles one inch or less in diameter, openings are 1 1/8 inch .
- CONVENIENT- unlike other fishing rod racks, the KastKing Fold Flat fishing rod holders will easily fit in a tight spot for storage or during travel. Great for camping or kayak fishing trips.
- DURABLE - made of aluminum and corrosion resisting material, this fishing rod holder will last a lifetime. Great for bass fishing rods, trout rods, fly fishing rods and smaller combos.
- GREAT VALUE- a KastKing rod rack offers convenience and more features at a great price compared to a conventional fishing pole holder or fishing pole or fishing pole wall rack.
- AWARD WINNING DESIGN - KastKing Rack Em Up fishing rod racks won a Best of Show Award for their innovative design at ICAST(International Convention of Allied Sportsfishing Trades) among hundreds of fishing tackle competitors.
Hot New Items